Thursday, March 22, 2007

What am I missing here?

So there I was looking through my bicycle newsgroup alerts and saw a hit at alt.energy.homepower for a solar-powered bicycle. Since it's an open forum and I'm tired and irriated, this was the most diplomatic thing I could write:

Solar energy has a lot to recommend but I am skeptical of this application. Isn't the point of a bicycle that the rider expends the energy? Riding a bike that weighs 75 pounds would be like riding an anvil. I'm all for being chintzy with fossil fuels but it seems to [me] this vehicle sacrifices efficiency in many ways for the sake of being solar powered. Though admirable intentions are at work here I think someone missed the point.

Less diplomatically I have to ask two questions: what are they thinking and how fucking lazy do you have to be?

No comments: