Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Retired

A friend of mine recently had his first experience getting a flat fixed. That made me realize that I'd ho-hummed getting on my third tire and fourth or fifth tube on my rear wheel over the weekend. The first tube I replaced took about an hour; the procedure for time and tubes this time took about 10 minutes (the first tube I put on had two holes in it). I've read rears go bad more quickly because they bear more weight. A bead failed on the first tire. The second tire died a death of maybe a dozen cuts and nicks. It also appeared to be fatally compromised by what felt like several strands of jewelry wire. The third tire is holding up well after 16 miles. Those first two tires managed to survive a variety of indignities, including rocks, nails and cotter pins. The tubes did not endure the indignities as well and suffered from some I inflicted, such as a valve stem I kicked off and particularly pointy rock that I hit at just the wrong angle. Not to mention nails, pins and wire. Yet at the other end of the bike, after thousands (eight? 10?) the original front tire thrives. Go figure.

No comments: