Thursday, January 18, 2007

Cudgel of shame

As this entry addresses cycling and certain winter weather conditions, certain readers will want to wait until the next post. You know who you are. Anyway. It snowed early this morning followed by other forms of precipitation throughout the day. Here in the Triangle that phenomenon unhinges people. It would be hilarious if it weren't so moronic. I was in the office by 8:45 a.m. I was one of the first ones in, preceded, by among others, our big boss. She's Canadian so the dusting and sleet and rain had no effect. Nevertheless she noted that I had come in on the mountain bike. At that point I offered myself as the previously mentioned cudgel of shame with which she could beat our coworkers. Though charmed by my selflessness, my observation indicated she declined to take advantage. After making my offer I walked to my standing appointment at the Cary Police Department. My contact there wasted no time in kindheartedly using me as an instrument of discipline for some of his tardier charges. But, you know, if a guy on a mountain bike can beat you into work during a seasonal hiccup you should be embarrassed, no matter how terribly the natives have gummed up traffic on the freeways.
Here at cycledork central the big news is that there were no flaming socks today. The new rain pants held up their end. My hikers and tops performed as dependably as a rider could want. Even though this was the day The Secret Weapon was designed for, they only work with the pedals on the 2100. I know though from some rainy rides that they live up to their billing. As you might expect from a group that can delay highways for hours over an inch of semisolid precipitation, drivers were stupid. Fortunately, where I was riding, they were few. Bottom line: the only moisture on my skin at either end of the trip was perspiration.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

No snow here in Atlanta, though for glasses-related reasons I've opted out of bike commuting on rainy days. Luckily those have been few and far between.

Thanks in part to your advice, I have an excellent commuting system, consisting of a pannier type thing, a full change of clothing, sweatpants and sundry personal hygiene items.

In short, for the first time in ages, I can't wait to exercise, and I've shed five pounds in the last two weeks. No cudgel of shame, but I do feel insufferably smug in having 7 1/2 miles down by 9 a.m.

Oh, and my folding Dahon is a hit on MARTA (I get the train home). Lotsa comments for riders, ranging from "cool bike, man" to the inexplicable trucker-related "nice rig."

cycledork said...

htrouser, you make me proud. Savor the smugness. I know I do and I don't even get the "cool bike" and "nice rig" bonuses. Keep it up. By the way, where did you find your pannier thing?

Anonymous said...

I got the pannier thing in my friendly neighbourhood bike shop:

http://www.bicyclesouth.com/

Here it is:

http://www.jandd.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=FRRPII

I can fit a change of clothing and several books, and as it doesn't hang down it's not a problem with the Dahon's weirdly small wheels.

What is a problem is the fact that my handlebars seem mysteriously misaligned with my front wheel. Seriously - they're at a slight angle. I have no idea how that happened. I guess I'll be taking the bike in.

cycledork said...

Way to pimp for your Local Bike Shop. I'm a client of The Spin Cycle myself. My bet is that your handlebar issue can be fixed very quickly. If it is not necessary for the shop to sequester your bike, watch how they fix it.

Anonymous said...

I am amazed that it's possible to cycle normally with handlebars at an angle. What confirmed that this wasn't an optical illusion was the fact that last night my front light beam was reflected off the road to the left of the bike. But yes, Bike South should see me right. They're good people.