Sunday, December 17, 2006

Meet cyclebuddy

Most of my riding I do by myself. It's not that I'm antisocial; it's that I don't like getting up on Saturday morning. I'll do the occasional charity ride but I'd rather get out after lunch and hammer for two or three hours. But over the last year and a half there's been one guy that I've meshed with, even to the point of sacrificing Saturday morning sleep. We've missed connections though over the last several months and weren't staying in touch the way we should have. So yesterday I was out at the edge of nowhere in northeastern Chatham County pedalling back toward somewhere when I saw a recumbent cruising toward me. It was none other than cyclebuddy. We rode together for about four miles and he smoked me over the flats. We talked for a few minutes after we got back to his far west Cary driveway and talked about riding over the next couple of weekends. Today, I was a few miles farther west in nowhere and here he comes hauling ass toward me. Same routine as yesterday: more smoke followed by more catching up. The great thing about cyclebuddy is his enthusiasm combined with an ungodly ability to get the most out of his machine (there's more coming on the recumbent). The upshot of today's ride was a firm commitment to ride this Saturday. Route to be determined; check back on Friday.

No comments: