Saturday, November 18, 2006

CD's Saturday cycling tip: blow yourself up

For God's sake, whatever you do, put some air in your tires before you go out. If there is an easier step you can take to improve your ride, let me know. The recommended pressure is right there on the side of the tire. As with a car, appropriate tire pressure means better performance. Bonus: this may just be because I am, well, cycledork, but if I put my helmet on just as I'm reaching for the pump then I don't forget my lid once I hit the road.

2 comments:

colomom said...

After you blow yourself up, why the helmet? What are your thoughts on helmets - and helmet laws?

cycledork said...

I wear my helmet every time I get on my bike so that if I crash or get hit my head doesn't split like a grape. Putting it on while I inflate my tires is just a way to make sure it's on. To my knowledge, helmet laws for cyclists are aimed at children, not adults. I'm just enough of a libertarian that I'm more ambivalent about laws mandating safe personal practices for adults than I probably should be (I also wear a seat belt every time I get in a car). Not taking precautions like wearing helmets or seat belts is moronic and the wages of stupidity are often death. I understand the time-honored role of government in protecting public safety and welfare but at some level people have to be responsible for their own safety.