Monday, June 9, 2008

Cycledork is coming to town

My race day No. 2 is Wednesday. Now, about 44 hours before the time trial, is when I need to start figuring out what to take. That's what the list is for. The list is comprehensive and meant to include everything that I normally would take for a ride or would not have in the car with me under normal circumstances. For instance, in day time I always wear sunglasses when I drive but since they're critical for the time trial, they go on the list.

It's a big, big deal for me to make a list. Some of you may know that I keep all my phone numbers, appointments and directions in my head and can drive myself crazy enough about work that I don't forget assignments. But the potential freakout-to-time-and-distance ratio involved with this exercise is too great for even me to trust to memory. In other words if I got to Charlotte and realized my skinsuit was in Cary I'd be fucked and very angry; I'd so much rather that didn't happen. The list I made a list before the last time trial that had 33 items on it. This time around, since I know a little more and circumstances are a little different, 34 items, a few of which are different, will go with me. They are:

1. bike
2. trainer
3. trainer wheel
4. skinsuit
5. helmet
6. gloves x 2
7. socks x 2
8. rules
9. seminar notes
10. aero shoe covers
11. shoes
12. iPod
13. shades
14. short hair ties
15. shorts
16. jersey
17. tools
18. torque wrench
19. pump
20. saddle bag
21. split sheet
22. allen bits
23. safety pins
24. fan
25. turn over watch
26. move up watch wrist strap
27. set watch to stop watch
28. lunch
29. fig newtons
30. water
31. pillow case
32. blue bin
33. CDs
34. list

New to this list are the aero shoe covers that I didn't have last time and the fan. The fan was a bit of wisdom shared at the seminar in February. It will help keep me cool on the trainer since it will be about 500 degrees at Lowe's even in the garage. Missing are zip ties, which I might throw in with the tools anyway, and a second stop watch, which I don't need since I'm going solo this time. The torque wrench and allen keys might seem to be tools (and they are) but since I store them separately from my bike tools I account for them separately. Some of these things are not things but directions, such as turning my watch (so I can see it when I'm in the aero bars). Every item has a function. The hair ties hold down the flappy parts of my watch and helmet straps. The pillow case contains all the clothes. The blue bin is home to the tools in the broadest sense, the pillow case and contents, iPod and papers. Why CDs if I'm taking an iPod? The CDs are for car use; the iPod and headphones are for the trainer.

About 37 hours remain before I head to Charlotte. During that time, I will check the list twice. At least.

2 comments:

SAE said...

I can attest to C-dork's memorization of phone numbers. For several months after his move from MN to NC, I would call him to get phone numbers. He was my own private directory assistance!

BTW, Mr. Dork, I recommend buying one of these: http://www.buy.com/prod/monster-icarplay-fm-transmitter-charger-for-ipod-174/q/loc/111/90144427.html so you don't have to bring the CDs along for the car ride.

Sherri said...

Love the advice sae! Dork - good luck to your efforts! I like the list, all very logical. I'd probably add food items, like power bars. Seems I"m always hungry these days. :-)