Sunday, June 8, 2008

Chains of fool

I pulled the 2100 off the trainer yesterday morning so I could do two hours in the 100-degree heat. My chain squealed so badly after 3/4 mile that I turned around. The sad, embarrassing fact is that I'd rusted out the 113-link heart of my drive train. The 2100 went in the back of the car to The Spin Cycle. My hope was to have it back by Wednesday — no bike, no time trial. Carl was pedalling a beach cruiser outside the store. I sheepishly admitted my problem, expecting rolling eyes and a stern "maybe" for Wednesday. Instead, what I get is an enthusiastic $3 fix: a couple of chain pins and a pint and a half of kerosene. After all, I have all the tools, only needed a few dollars of parts, so why not? I left the shop as pumped as Carl.

I got home, used the chain tool on my Taco Tool to pop out a chain pin and get the chain in the coffee can full of kerosene. Popping out that chain pin all the way was a big, big mistake. Leave that chain pin in until you are ready to insert the new chain pin. The new chain pin, will, after all, drive out the old one and the chain will disassemble with the old one flush to the edge. Otherwise it's impossible to determine the orientation of the chain when it was taken off. That's critical so that you get the chain back on the drive train the same way it came off. Realizing this morning the magnitude of my error I went to the local Performance Bicycle and bought an SRAM 991 chain. Fortunately I had enough points on Performance Club card that I got the chain at a huge discount. Part of the SRAM magic: not only is it Shimano compatible (it mates with my chainrings and cassette) it comes with a manually assembled "Powerlink" so I don't have to drive another chain pin.

When I got on the 2100 late this afternoon I could not only hear but feel the difference. Ahhhhh. And should this ever happen again, I have a clean, clean, clean Shimano chain waiting — if I can ever figure out how it came off. Even a spare chain into the adventure, I'm ready to go for Wednesday.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Just so you know, you can (a) buy a Powerlink separate from a SRAM chain, and (b) use it to link together your old Shimano chain. You might want to check the old one for wear first, though.

cycledork said...

Yeah, but I still don't know how to figure which side of the Shimano chain was on the cogs. I'm willing to pay for a new chain so I don't mutilate the rest of my drive train.

cycling supplies said...

I don't get this. "The new chain pin, will, after all, drive out the old one and the chain will disassemble with the old one flush to the edge." Could you please enlighten me on this? I keep following all your posts hope you can regularly post more. I get very useful information here. Thanks for having this.



cycling supplies