Thursday, January 10, 2008

Summer options

Several days of brutal climbs highlight the 14th Annual Bicycle Tour of Colorado. The brochure arrived today. The "Durango/Telluride Loop" comprises 403 miles from June 22 to June 28. Colorado cycling guru Michael Seeberg rates five of the segments (including two optional ones) as difficult. The highlight, which the brochure describes as an option and Seeberg calls a bonus, is the East Portal Road in Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park. Draw your own conclusions about the challenge that seven miles of 16 percent grade would provide.

As tempting as the BTC sounds, I think I'll stick with northeastern Colorado in August or September. Trail Ridge Road through Rocky Mountain National Park has been resurfaced and I'm itchy to try it again. Call me a coward, but I'm rationalizing that 23 miles of climbing topping out at nearly 12,200 feet makes up for any grade deficiencies.

No comments: