Tuesday, January 22, 2008

I like stopping

I pretty much quit using my front brake in November. When I would release it the caliper would not totally retract so I would have to pull the brake off the rim manually. Using the rear brake wasn't optimal but at least I slowed down. And I figured I'll get my bike tuned up soon enough. Last week I took the 2100 into The Spin Cycle for its +/-5,000 mile tuneup. Adjustments included new brake and shifter cables all around. Finding: now I can confidently go faster into a curve or turn knowing that I've got stopping power if and when I need it. I notice most at two spots on my commute, here in the morning and here in the evening. The beautiful paradox: by knowing I can stop, I go faster.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I replaced my brake cables and pads over the Christmas break and am also much enjoying the ability to stop at will. It's a pretty easy process, if you ever get the urge to diy.