Saturday, June 9, 2007

Accounting for 4278.7

Put on your helmet, grit your teeth and get ready for a rush like few you can have. It's time to crunch numbers. It may offer all of the excitement of, well, accounting.
Today's as good a day as any to share the distances of cycledork. On June 10, 2006 I bought a new bike computer, a Mavic Wintech FS. In the year since I've racked up the miles enumerated in the title of this post. That total also includes the mountain bike miles I've cranked out. So, to rateify the number:
• 357 miles per month
• 82 miles per week
• 11.7 miles per day
Over that time there have been at least five complete weeks when I did not get on a bike.

In 2007 I've pedaled 1,819 miles. Rateified, that's:
• 343 miles per month
• 79 miles per week
• 11.3 miles per day
There was one week I was off all bikes, another week the Trek 2100 was in the shop and several weekends I could have been riding but did not.

Where is all this going? My goal for the year is to ride 5,000 miles. I'm 392 miles behind pace, or about 17 miles per week. Basically I need three 550-mile months to get back on track. I'm hoping to catch up over the summer but I already know of one entire week and another four-day period including a weekend between now and August when I will be bikeless.

As for the previous computer, a Garmin 301? In April 2006 it flew out of its handlebar mount in the center of a major intersection. As soon as I realized what I happened I dropped my bike on the side of the road and ran back just in time to see it get run over. I continued running, into traffic, to retrieve it anyway. Trust me, it was cool enough to risk death for.

The good news for you is that even I monitor all this minutia every day, I only plan to victimize others with the complete overview once a year. Be warned that there will be periodic but undetailed progress reports. Be grateful. My family has said since I was a kid that the most hideous torture they could think of was to be tied to a chair and have me recite facts, particularly statistics, that I considered of interest. I will try to not keep you in the chair very long.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow. Great mileage. I made it to 126 miles in May, with a week off for vacation.

I almost bought a trip computer yesterday, but have been trying to spend less money on, well, everything, so for now I'm sticking to Veloroutes.

I'm a little worried that the hot weather will cut into my cycling. When do you do all of these miles? In the morning, before work? Or after work, when it's still hot as hell?

cycledork said...

About 35 miles per week come from my commute, so split that amount between a ride at 8:15 a.m. and another at 4:30 p.m. The rest of the miles mostly come from weekend rides. Since I like to sleep late, most of my summer weekend rides, which are my long ones (40-80 miles), are in the heat of the day. I do spend a lot of time being hot with sweat in my eyes but the rest of me feels really good. I think of a good weekend as 100 miles or more. I've also tried some after-work 10 milers (and now is the time for those) but haven't done enough of those yet to have any noticeable effect on mileage totals.

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear the heat doesn't slow you down. I guess as long as you drink enough water, it's fine, if less pleasant than cooler weather.

As I'm working from home this summer, I toyed with a 7 1/2 mile ride (the same as my one-way commute when working in the office) first thing in the morning. But I'm not sure if it's my bag, as I like to start writing ASAP after caffeination.

So I may follow your lead and ignore the heat, doing a 5pm 10 mile ride each day. So far I've only managed Stone Mountain on weekends, which is 25 miles in total. But all that gets me to 75 miles a week, 300 a month. In theory.