Thursday, April 26, 2007

Cycledork says …

If you wear headphones when you cycle, you're a fuckin' moron. I've seen two riders since Sunday, including one this afternoon, with their ears covered. Numbskulls. Sensewise, hearing is a very close second to seeing when it comes to bike safety (I rank touch, smell and taste as 3, 4 and 5, respectively). I love my iPod probably even more than the next guy, but I also love knowing that a vehicle is approaching. And that the sounds from the engine, tires and exhaust tell me if it's a motorcycle or a semi. Wearing headphones is stupider than not wearing a helmet. At least if you're dumb enough not to wear a helmet, you have all of your senses working for you. Sort of, anyway. With headphones, you have chosen to ignore key sensory stimuli. For me, I would so much rather that the wages of ignorance are not death. And that can be the payoff when you can't hear the truck coming.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Strangely, I find that wearing a helmet or hat muffles my hearing, even when it doesn't cover my ears - doesn't affect my choice to wear one (because I am not a moron), but I notice it nonetheless.